2/27/11

Global warming, my wet patootie

     A  quick look at my library catalog reveals no less than 89 listings when I typed in "global warming".  Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the causes of global warming the rapid depletion of trees?  So, if each of those books is only one copy, and my library just happens to be the sole possessor of it, maybe that's not a big issue.  But it seems to me that is not how publishers work.  I'm guessing at least 50,000 copies of each one were printed, maybe more.  And surely that is not the complete oeuvre of books that exists.  Given the plethora of books, how does that hinder rather than help move along  the so-called "global warming"?
     Not to mention all the hot air that the speakers are putting out when they spew their diatribes.  I won't even mention that the past two winters here in south Texas have produced some of the coldest days I've seen since I moved here.  (OK, so I did mention it...)  And that  just last month there was snow in Hawaii.  Hawaii!  I bet snow hasn't been in Hawaii in my entire lifetime before this year.  30 years ago we were going to have a new Ice Age, which we are closer to than the oceans rising and drowning us all, but I don't believe even that is coming soon.
     Somebody always has to have some crackpot Chicken Little theory to keep the public worrying.  Remember Y2K?  How'd that terror situation work out for you?  Nowadays, it's the Mayan calendar and the end of the world in 2012.  If you go hide in a mountain cave to wait out the coming apocalypse, be sure to let me know.  I need a new TV.

No comments: