1/28/10

Barguments: Topic #1

A note about the Barguments threads: I reserve the right to change. I said yesterday that Barguments was going to be Monday's regular topic. well, on further consideration, I decided to add it as Thursday's topic, too. After all, with 250 or so topics, I can do two a week and it will still take me over 2 years to go through the book.







From page 88: List the top three guitar players in history.

This is a great topic for this thread to start out. I mean there is so much freaking debate here. Someone is bound to say, "Dude, I can't believe you didn't list Eddie Van Halen!" (or Jimi Hendrix, or Carlos Santana or any number of great guitarists.)

But then, that is why its a great topic. Everyone has their top three, and no one's is going to be identical to another (if it were that would just be plain freaky...)

So without further ado, here are my choices.

1. Robert Fripp:

Anyone who is saying "Robert Who???" should check out a late 60's-early 70's band called King Crimson. Especially listen to the albums "Red" and "In the Court of the Crimson King". I feel that Fripp is an extremely talented an innovative musician.

2. Yngwie Malmsteen:

I saw Yngwie open for AC/DC in the mid-80's. Never heard of him before. In my opinion, that night, he kicked AC/DC's proverbial a**. He is a classically trained guitarist and most of his albums include a track or two of classical music influnced or outright interpretations of classical pieces.

3. Gary Richrath:

OK, I admit that 25% of the reason Gary makes number three is because I saw him on his solo tour and he had the graciousness to sign my R.E.O. album. :-) But his solo work on the "You Get What You Play For" R.E.O. live album, and the song "Golden Country" which he wrote are both excellent, and I would gladly pay to see him perform again.




OK, now its your turn. Leave me a message and if you decide to put up your own choices on your blog leave me a link.

No comments: