2/18/10

Barguments: Topic #6




From page 101:

What song do you play on the jukebox if you absolutely want the entire bar to sing along?

There are two. And both of them are guaranteed to inspire a bunch of drunks to sing. One of them is Jimmy Buffet's Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw? The two things that are on the mind of nearly every guy in the bar and probably a significant number of the women. Getting drunk and hooking up, (assuming they are not already hooked up, but then they are still trying to get to that point at some time during the night.

The other is the last verse of David Allan Coe's You Never Even Called Me By My Name.


Well a friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song, and he told me it was the perfect country and western song. Well, I wrote him back a letter and told him it was not the perfect country and western song 'cause he hadn't said anything at all about mama or trains or trucks or prison or gettin' drunk. Well, he sat down and wrote another verse to this song and he sent it to me and after readin' it I realized that my friend had written the perfect country and western song. I felt obliged to include it on this album. The last verse goes like this here:


Well I was drunk the day my mama got outta prison
And I went to pick 'er up in the rain
But before I could get to the station in my pickup..truck,
She got runned over by a damned old train.


I guarantee you if you play that one, there will be a loud chorus of drunks who wouldn't even get up and karaoke the song by themselves joining in with the rest of the crowd.

No comments: